Friday 26 July 2013

Plant of the week - Rose 'Patricia'

I prefer rambling old-fashioned style roses as a rule, but this rose has a special meaning in our house.

The colours really are amazing as you can see from this photo. The blooms are intensely salmon-pink, almost red in the bud, and as they open they show an array of hues from lemon yellow, peach, salmon and fading into a delicate pale pink.

Added to that they smell absolutely delicious!

Floribunda rose - 'Patricia' - blooms half-open
Floribunda rose - 'Patricia' - blooms half-open

It's a hardy floribunda rose, mine's in a pot and stays outside over winter and has always survived well. Like all roses its prone to the odd outbreak of greenfly, but this year I have been careful not to overwater or overfeed (which encourages rapid growth of soft tasty shoots that greenfly love) and I haven't seem any greenfly on it so far. Maybe the exceptionally dry weather has helped.

Floribunda rose - 'Patricia' - blooms fully open
Floribunda rose - 'Patricia' - blooms fully open

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has some organic tips for dealing with greenfly. I've heard that introducing ladybird larvae can help but if anyone has tried this and can recommend I'd love to hear about it.

I bought my potted rose about five years ago from Country Garden Roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment! I'll be reading your comment as soon as I have time and will respond directly on my blog.
Cheers!
Chris