Wednesday 19 June 2013

Plant of the week (belated) - Poached Egg Plant (Limnanthes douglasii)

A little belated, but plant of the week for week ending 14th June 2013 is the humble poached egg plant. This little self-seeder appears everywhere in the garden now and I usually leave it to its own business. It seems to prefer drier stonier places in the garden where other plants find it hard to survive, like gravel borders and has even colonised and survived uncared for in the dry gravel floor of the greenhouse.

Poached Egg Plant (Limnanthes douglasii)
Poached Egg Plant (Limnanthes douglasii)

It's a modest little plant but bees love the cheerful yellow and white flowers, which makes it a hit in my garden.

I got a single seed packet from Thompson & Morgan a couple of years ago, but never had to buy seeds again as its now established itself in the garden without any additional help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment! I'll be reading your comment as soon as I have time and will respond directly on my blog.
Cheers!
Chris